Wednesday, September 5, 2012

La Isla Del Encanto!

La isla del encanto= the island of enchantment! aka Puerto Rico!

The huz and I returned home last night from an incredible first anniversary trip to Puerto Rico!

I loved everything about Puerto Rico from the super friendly locals to the mouth-watering food to the infectious beat of Puerto Rican jazz and salsa to the breathtaking beaches and lush rainforest. I truly can't recommend a visit highly enough! We hope to go back sometime in the future to visit some of the other cities in PR; 5 nights just wasn't enough time!

There were five main points on our agenda for the trip, and I can happily say that we accomplished all five.

1. Visit El Yunque rainforest and hike to La Mina falls. ..............Check.

2. Visit Old San Juan and the forts of El Morro and San Cristobal ..........Check.

3. Eat a lot of legit Puerto Rican food. Also make sure to drink lots of Pina Coladas because Puerto Rico is the birthplace of Pina Coladas! My favorites (aside from the BEST pina colada's I've ever had) were the mofongo which is casserole made from mashed plantains (DELISH!!), and the cafe con leche. I'm not even really a coffee drinker, but I had to try it because the coffee served in the hotels/restaurants is all grown locally in Puerto Rico.

4. Go to the beach. Go to the pool. Go to the beach again. And the pool again. .......Done and done.

5. Celebrate that we have been  happily chugging along together for ten years (WOW! Where does the time go?! 10 YEARS doesn't seem possible. Two of the ten were agonizingly loooooooong long distance during huz's time in med school in Grand Cayman), and celebrate our first wedding anniversary!....done and done!

You guys, it was seriously incredible to be able to spend 5 uninterrupted nights and 6 days with my huz. He is the sweetest, kindest, most gorgeous person I know. I lucked out big time. I clearly got the better end of this marriage deal! :)

Scroll on for some photos from our trip.



 Side note: we took over 200 photos during our trip, and while I'd love to share them ALL, you don't want to sit here for an hour looking at photos---plus our identities would be given away in most of them--- so I will just throw a few out here for ya! Enjoy! :)



This is Luquillo Beach. We spent a wonderfully lazy afternoon here.



This is one of my favorite shots that I took while we were exploring the El Yunque rainforest.


La Mina falls. It was a long SWEATY hike to get here, but it was worth it. The picture doesn't do it justice at ALL. :(

A view of El Yunque from an observation tower.

On Isla Verde beach. Paradise found.

Looking at Old San Juan and El Morro fort from the San Cristobal Fort.

A charming side street in Old San Juan.

A lookout on San Cristobal.


Soooo.... are you planning your trip there yet?! ;)

Until we meet again,
Emme

2 comments:

  1. Awweeesssssoooommmeeee pics! Bryans facebook is being retarded on our computer, so I can't wait to come up next weekend and see all the full size shots! Looks perfectly lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've printed a bunch out so you can see em! Can't wait to see you guys! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete