Friday, September 21, 2012

Little Miss Apprehensive...

As I'm typing this post there is a steady rain falling outside the window. I'm sipping steaming hot tea from a giant warm mug and watching the city lights twinkling in through the rain. All day it's been overcast, cloudy, breezy and looking like rain. It's 50 something degrees and the leaves on the trees across the street and all down Hyde Park Boulevard are just beginning to change. People are walking a little faster on the sidewalk. They're clad in boots, leggings, sweaters and scarves.

No doubt about it, fall has arrived in Chicago.

There are so many things about fall that I simply adore. Crock pot recipes, cuddling with my huz and Puss In Boots on the couch under warm blankets, lots of hot tea, trips to the apple orchard, football, comfy fall clothes, holidays, chili and cornbread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie blizzards, pumpkin spice coffee....pumpkin anything, really.

I especially love the trees changing colors, and the way they crunch under my feet as I'm walking; the burnt oranges, yellows, and reds of autumn.

I can't wait until the trees look like this!

Yes indeed, summer fading into fall can be a wonderful thing, but I always get a little apprehensive about the end of summer...because after the lovely fall comes the horrible, bitter winter.

I HATE cold weather. Any by cold I pretty much mean anything below 50 degrees. And hate I mean LOATHE. I hate snow. I hate having to scrape off car windows, warm up car engines, and just use the car more in general because it's too freaking cold out to walk.

I am not joking when I say that I believe I have a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Winter makes me want to hibernate like a big ol' grizzly bear. I truly have to force myself to exercise during the fall and winter months, because if I don't I will be miserable and depressed. And gain unnecessary weight. I am a firm believer that the mind and soul benefit from exercise just as much as the body does. When I am not exercising on a regular basis my entire balance gets thrown off and it's an unhappy, unhealthy place for me to be.

That being said, my husband and I really need to find a gym in the city that is #1. close to our home and #2. affordable. So far my hunt has been unsuccessful, so if anyone out there in cyberspace has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I will continue to ride my bike and take lots of walks for as long as the weather allows. Here's hoping fall sticks around for a bit this year!

Til next post,
Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment