Thursday, February 23, 2012

My first day of voluntary unemployment...

Yesterday was my last day at the clinic where I've worked for the last five and a half years. The girls at the clinic sent me off right by buying my lunch and surprising me with not one, but two HUGE balloon bouquets, lots of sweet cards, and a sparkly tiara. The balloons said "best wishes" , the cards were heartfelt, and I'm not sure what the hell the tiara was all about, but hey, it was pretty.

While I was getting spoiled by my now ex-coworkers, Will had another meeting with his med school advisers and his start date in Chicago will be April 2, 2012. We have appointments set up for this Saturday to see at least four more apartments in Hyde Park. We will get the application process started early next week after we make our final decision.

Ideally, we'd like to be all moved in by the second weekend in March, but there is some paperwork that needs to get finalized between Will and the school so we don't have a precise move in date yet. We were thinking it would be next weekend, but now that may not be the case. This no date nonsense, of course, is driving me crrrrrrazy because I am a planner. I want to get in there and get settled soon so that I can begin pounding the pavement to find myself a new j-o-b.

So now you know the scoop on the move, and now you know that I am officially unemployed. It hasn't sunk in yet, but instead feels like the start of a wonderful vacation of sorts. I woke up this morning shortly after eight o'clock rather than seven which was GLORIOUS. That extra hour makes a huge difference to me. I ate an unhurried breakfast, spent an hour with Will at the gym, and spent a couple of hours working on homework. I am still very much a full-time college student, despite the fact that I don't have a "real job" anymore.

Here's my plan for the remainder of the day:

-Go with Will to pick up some medical records that the school needs.
-Accompany Will to get his picture taken for an ID that he needs. (Also, I will be printing out a wedding photo for a newspaper announcement that I have been neglecting to do for almost six months. It's so crazy to think that Will and I have been married for nearly half a year already, and that next month we'll celebrate nine years of together-dom.)
-Go with Will to the police station to get a background check.
-Outline a list of all of the projects I want to finish in the next week. (i.e. sort through our stuff and get rid of what we don't use/don't want to move, print and organize the recipes I've been wanting to organize for the last year or so, outline our dinner menu for the next week, plan out midterm projects for school, etc)

Sounds good, ey?

My plan for the next month:
-Being very productive at home and in class.
-Spend at least an hour, 5 times a week at the gym. Since I'm not working, this should be a cinch.
-Next week I think we're going to head down to Ellie's house for a few days. I miss my little sister, and always look forward to spending time with her and her fiance.
-Choose a place, sign a lease, and MOVE IN! Get settled and learn more about our new neighborhood.
-Enjoy the last few weeks I have with Will before his schedule gets crazy again.

That's it folks! Stay tuned. Hopefully I'll keep this positive outlook throughout my "sabbatical". That is my goal! ;)


4 comments:

  1. Yay sis! You're going to find a job soon, I'm getting good vibes with your Chi-town move so I know you will! We decided we're going to stay up there through Saturday, so we will have some quality bonding time :) Happy Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope so! Right now the challenge is getting moved in there! So much red tape to get through with this med school clinical thing. *sigh* Saw some AWESOME apartments today. We'll show you pics. Can't wait to see you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through wedding bee :) I'm a newlywed married to a medical student as well so I was excited to come read some of your posts! Good luck with the move!

    -Charlene
    www.becomingthebarrs.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Charlene! Glad you found me! And congrats on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete