Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Happy 2013!

Whew! It's been awhile! Happy New Year all! I hope that the new year is treating you well. I'm *FINALLY* getting over a super nasty bug that seems to have infected the majority of the population in the city within the last several weeks.

It is the truth that I have been more sick than ever before since we moved to Chicago last March.   I imagine it has to do with the monumental increase in germs I am exposed to here versus what I was exposed to while we lived in the middle of a cornfield in a town of 10,000. ;) heh heh. Ah well, I guess you have to take the bad with the good, right? This most recent super bug caused me to cancel plans with two different sets of friends which I was extremely bummed about, however we have rescheduled with both sets of friends, so I will survive.

I have some exciting news to share involving school. I have begun what is to be my final semester at the University of Illinois Springfield! I graduate on May 11, 2013, and I am SO excited! I am going to be extremely busy this semester as I am taking 5 labor intensive classes, 2 of which require many hours of community service. I'm a little nervous as to how I'm going to have time to sleep and eat between work, volunteering, and other class requirements, but I'm sure I'll work it out. I always do. ;)

I will be volunteering for the next few months with the Hyde Park Art Center as well as with New Moms Inc. I am very excited about both of these opportunities because I believe that both organizations are doing wonderful things for the people of Chicago. I think giving back is SO important, and though I have done a bit of volunteer work in the past, I admittedly could (and SHOULD) do so much more. I invite you to check out the websites of the organizations I'll be working with at www.hydeparkart.org and www.newmomsinc.org, and I look forward to sharing my experiences through this blog.

Til next time,

Emme


2 comments:

  1. So excited my sis is going to be a gal with a bach degree! So proud of you!!! The New Moms Inc sounds cool, what's that about!? LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a non-profit that works to empower adolescent mothers by helping teach them about child care, job skills, life skills, and providing a safe place for them to live. Very cool. Check out the website. I am excited about my degree too! Feels like I've been working toward it FOREVER! :) Love you and see you soon! Can't believe it's almost WEDDING TIME!! AHHH!

    ReplyDelete