Saturday, December 3, 2011

Let's just get started, shall we?

      First thing's first. I am not going to use real names in this blog. My name is not really Emme, and I am going to  make up names for everyone else too, because I feel weird about using real names on the interwebz. Unfortunately, there are some serious weirdos out there my friends.

      Now that that's been said, the second thing's second. I'm not going to start this blog by boring you folks with the story of my life, how I met my husband, the story of his life and blah blah blllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaah. ZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzz. Look at me, already imagining that this silly little blog might actually get some followers! Ha! Clearly, I think I am super important and everyone who stumbles upon this masterpiece of a blog is going to think so too, and want to read all about my adventures in le city. ;)

       Third thing's third. I feel like I need to come with a disclaimer that says "random tangents to be expected". It's just how I am. Sometimes I think I am ADD. Oh look! There's a squirrel! ;)

     Truthfully, the chances are that if you're here, you're probably either A. me, B. My sister Ellie (so not her real name),  C. My cat, Puss. (Puss is actually her real name. No joke. I guess I lied just a little about that whole "I will not use ANY real names" thing.) , or D. My other sister, Cher. (Again, totally not her real name. Who names their kid Cher?) Buuuuut, if you are not A, B, C or D: welcome to my blog! And thanks for swinging by! Let's get started, shall we?

       My husband (whom I shall call Will from here on out) and I spent the last two years of our lives as a long distance couple while he was completing the basic science portion of his medical education. We are finally back in the same place, which happens to be the tiny farm town where we both grew up. We got married in September, and we found out a few days ago that we are moving to Chicago so Will can continue on with school, and get ready to begin clinical rotations. This is sort of a big deal.

     You see, Will and I come from a town of about 10,000. No one here locks their doors at night. We leave our keys in our cars. Getting a super Walmart was the most exciting thing that has happened to this town for the last oh, 5 years or so. Seriously. We have 2 grocery stores. We have a McDonalds and a Burger King and approximately 5 family owned little restaurants. We don't have a movie theater. We go cowtipping for fun. I am only half joking

      I have lived in this town since I was born. When we were children, my parents took me and my sisters in to the city about twice a year to do cool things like go to Wrigley to see a Cubs game, go to the Shedd Aquarium or go to the Museum of Science and Industry. As an adult,  I go into Chicago more often, but I'd say no more than 10 times a year. And now, folks? I am going to be living in this city.  This massive cultural, artistic, musical, dangerous, sometimes smelly (mostly in the summer, I've gathered), magical place. Shit's about to get real. I'm a little freaked. Not gonna lie.

     I've been doing some research, and we're looking around the south side for a nice (read: decent, and semi-affordable area where I don't have to worry too much about getting mugged) neighborhood. The hospital where Will is going to be working/studying is not really in the best area, so we don't want to live in that neighborhood, but we need to be close. We've been looking at Hyde Park.

     President Obama lives close to Hyde Park. (I mean, when he's not living in the White House, natch.) The Obamas live in Kenwood, so the area around it can't be too dangerous, can it? Plus, Hyde Park is near the University of Chicago, so it's diverse, and there will be folks our age nearby. Did I mention that we don't really know anyone who lives in the city? We've got our work cut out for us folks. Stay tuned. It's gonna be a crazy ride, but I'm so up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment