Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pet Peeves

The Bears lost this afternoon. To the freaking KC Chiefs. Really?

So since I tend to get a wee bit (read: a HELLUVA LOT) cranky when the Bears play like crap, I thought, "Hey, why not write a blog post about other things that piss me off/irritate the shit out of me that have something to do with Chicago?" Why the eff not? Here goes.

1. I hate it when the Bears lose. Like, I really hate it. Smoke starts escaping from my ears, and my face gets all red and sweaty. Especially when they play like crap. I can deal with a loss when they actually look like an NFL team, as opposed to looking the B string of a junior tackle team, which is precisely what they looked like today.

2. I debated on whether to add this to the list, but I will. I also hate it when the Cubs lose. I mean, I am used to it by now, but it still irks me on occasion. Nuff said. Another thing about the Cubs? I hate it when people hate on Cubs fans. Why do people hate on us? Because we haven't won a world series in over 100 years? So what? We have been to the playoffs several times, and we've had some great seasons since then. We just haven't gone all the way again. Yet.

I've also hear people say Cubs fans are the worst fans in baseball. Sure, there are some obnoxious, yuppy, drunken-frat boy type Cubs fans (lots actually) that everyone could do without. Sure there are Cubs "fans" that don't even know the rules of the game, but you can't lump us all in with those morons! Some of us actually go to Wrigley to watch the game. Some of us can name more than 3 players on the team. Some of us really love the game of baseball.

 3. I hate it when I tell someone we are moving and they ask where. I say, "We're not positive yet, but it will be somewhere on the south side of Chicago", and they get this bug-eyed, wide-mouthed, horrified look on their face and say, "OhmyGodtellmeit'snottrue! You're moving to the GHETTO!?!?!??! You're going to get shot! Or raped! Or mugged! Or bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat! Or stabbed in the eyeball with an HIV infected syringe! Don't dooooooooooo it! Can't you commute?!?!"

Really? I am pretty sure the entire south side of Chicago is not "the ghetto." I'm also pretty sure there are bad areas, and bad neighborhoods on the north side too. C'mon now.

4. I hate it when I tell someone we are moving to Chicago and they say, "How will you survive without a car?!?" Well, there is this little thing called public transit and it is pretty darn awesome, my friend. Besides, I'm pretty sure people got along ok without cars before they were invented. Just like people survived without the internet, iphones and all that other crap. It can be done.

5. I hate it when I tell someone we are moving to Chicago, and they wrinkle their nose and get all snotty and say "Oh, you're going to turn into one of those 'city girls' huh?" I have no idea what that even means, but it really annoys the shit out of me.

So that is a list of my pet peeves related to Chicago. That was more than enough negativity for one day! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment