Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Le Great Baby Debate

So, my sister Cher's baby shower was last Saturday. Ellie and I planned and executed the shower, along with help from our mom. We spent several hours on Saturday morning running around the church like a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off. We chopped veggies, we sliced cheese, we chopped more veggies, we arranged crackers, we hung pictures, posters, banners. We sauced meatballs. We made table arrangements. We stirred meatballs. We arranged napkins, plates, silverware.

Oh! And I made blue punch, with white ice cream clouds and floated rubber duckies in it.

It was AWESOME. I'm pretty sure it was the coolest punch ever made. At least 15 guests came up to me and commented on the punch. I wish I was smart enough to load some pics. I'll ask Will to help me load some pics sometime. You really need to see the punch. Do you understand? I was SO. PROUD. of that punch.

(It was really easy for those interested: 1 liter of Sprite/Sierra Mist, 1 64oz bottle of white cranberry juice, and a couple of packets of any type of blue koolaid mix. Stir it all together. Add a little sugar if you like, then drop a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream in it. It's delish.)

I also offered to babysit my cousins, William and Naomi for the weekend because my aunt and uncle had to go out of town. When I volunteered, I figured, "Eh, no big deal! I'll have lots of help getting things ready for the shower. How hard can a 5 year old and 4 year old be?" So I had both of them to keep an eye on.

Apparently babysitting is too hard for me! I had a minor break down at the church when William and Naomi were crashing play carts through the halls, yelling at each other, and eating vegetables off our beautifully arranged trays after I SPECIFICALLY told them not to. *sigh* In fact, I was so stressed with trying to get everything perfect for the shower and keep them out of trouble that I hung up on my sweet mother when she was offering to bring us all lunch.

Yup. Sure did. Gold star for me.

Mom: What do the kids want from MCD's for lunch?
Me: Uh. I dunno. *asks kids what they want from MCD's.* *gets blank stares*
Me: Kids, do you want happy meals?
 *more blank stares*
William: Um how about a chicken sandwich? Or chicken nuggets? Or...
Me: Mom, I don't know! Cheeseburger happy meals?
William: I don't eat cheeseburgers. How about.. ummmmmm...... ummmmm...
Me: William, Naomi- what would you like?
Mom: Hurry, I'm next in line!

Me: I DON'T KNOW MOM! I DON'T KNOW! I DON"T CARE! PICK SOMETHING! *click* 

Wow. I seriously don't know if I am cut out for kids. I know, that might seem a little dramatic given the fact that was probably just stressing because I am type A, and I wanted my sister's shower to be beautiful. And truthfully, the rest of the weekend went swimmingly. I had no more breakdowns. The kids were truly well behaved. Well, as well behaved as 4 and 5 year olds can be. And we did have fun.

But when the kids left I thought, "Ahhhhh! I can relax! This is fantastic!" And when I really think about it: I don't know if I am cut out to be a mom. I am not the most patient person in the world. I swear too often. I don't know if I am the best role model.  I enjoy partaking in a few too many cocktails now and again. I enjoy my freedom. I love being able to go where I want, when I want, how I want. I love being able to take spontaneous trips. I love sleeping in. I worry about being responsible for another living creature.  I worry about "messing my kids up" like you know, saying the wrong thing to them, or whatever. I worry about falling in love with Chicago, and not wanting to raise a kid there/not being able to afford to raise a kid there.

Basically, at this point in my life, I simply cannot picture myself as a mom. I mean,  I always thought EVENTUALLY I will have a child, but eventually was always a time that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distant future, and so I always thought I'd think about it more way off in the distant future.

But um, it's sort of the future. I am 26 years old now and my baby making window is getting smaller. I mean, I still have a good 10 years, but time keeps on ticking by...

I guess it's a good thing that Will and I talked about this whole sitch before the wedding. He wants kids, but he more or less said he doesn't want kids more than he wants me to be his wife.

I think I'm going to stop here. I just needed to get this off my chest I guess! Hopefully one day the great baby debate I have going on with myself will be settled.





























2 comments:

  1. Hahah, you're so funny sister! Once you guys get more settled down in your lifestyle and Will has a couple years of MD under his belt, you'll want a baby! My future children NEED cousins! :) Teehee! And you're going to be a GREAT mom so don't be silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know! I think some people were just meant to be parents, and others...not so much! We'll see! :) Can't wait to meet baby AL!

    ReplyDelete