Monday, January 16, 2012

UIS Semester 3

Tomorrow I start my third semester at the University of Illinois at Springfield. I am working on my bachelor's degree online, and I have about 1 year to go. Basically, I can be done in one year if I take a couple of classes this summer, if I don't, then I'll have 3 "full" semesters to go. I don't really think I'll take classes this summer if I have a full time job. I already take a full class load in the Spring/Fall semesters, and I enjoy having the summer off.

Read: Working full time and schooling full time gets pretty crazy, and I like to have a summer break to attempt to regain my sanity. Plus, since we're moving to Chicago in 47 days (eee!), I'd like the summer off to explore the city.

You may be wondering why a woman of my advanced age (hehe, 26!) is still working on her bachelor's. Well folks, I'm a late bloomer. Read: I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Ahhh I said it. That felt good.

Here is how I got to this point in my education:
I took some time off after high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Then, I decided waitressing SUCKED and I enrolled in classes. I decided to get my certificate in Medical Billing and Coding so that I could get a job in the health field asap. I can say with complete honesty that medical billing sucks donkey balls. Talking to insurance companies all day makes me want to poke myself repeatedly in the eyeball with a toothpick. I've done it for about 5 years now, and I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I went to school for this!

I got my associate's degree in 2010 and then applied to UIS, where I have happily been chugging along ever since, and guess what?  I still don't know what I want to do with my life! However, I can tell you that I am very interested in criminal justice. So at least I have some sort of direction. ;)

I have a love/hate relationship with college. I've been studying on and off since I graduated high school NINE years ago. I love school because I've met tons of great people, and learned a lot about politics, criminal justice and the world in general. I also love school because I know it is my way out of this medical billing sitch.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...I hate school sometimes, because there are days when I get home after work and the LAST THING I want to do is put in 2 or 3 or 4 hours of study time/homework. I also hate it because I love reading for pleasure, and when school is in session I don't really have any time to read anything after I've read the assigned reading. (How many times can YOU use read/reading in a sentence?) I think my feeling about school would tilt more toward "love" if I could find a way to work part time while I'm finishing up my degree.  Maybe I'll find something part time in Chicago that will provide a large enough salary to prevent Will and me from starving, while allowing me to focus more energy on class.

Ha! We shall see!

Hopefully school won't interfere way too much with blog time, but I do believe it is a distinct possibility. Semester 3 here I come!


4 comments:

  1. You are going to do awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I bet this must be my husband! :) Thank you honey. I love you.

      Delete
  2. Hey sissy-loo! I'm still your loyal blog-fan! I agree- it's hard to figure out what you want to get (or give) out of life at times! All I've really learned by now (or, am really just beginning to truly learn!) is that as we keep growing we keep changing, and that means I can't be hard on myself when I feel like I don't have a concrete idea on what "type of person" I want to be or where I can see myself in the next 5 or 10 years. I was hanging out with a friend after work the other day and something she said really struck me... I know I've probably read it and heard it a hundred different times in my life- but I guess the way she SAID it with such certaintly in her voice really made it stick. She was telling me a story and I said, "Well, I hope it all turns out okay for you in the end, I'm sure it will." And said laughed and said, "It's all about the journey!" I'm trying to start telling myself every morning just to live for today and it's about making the most of the small moments that really light up your life. I LOVE YOU, see you this weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww sis! You are wise beyond your years! So glad you're still reading. It's encouraging! And I completely agree that we focus too much on "what we do" FOR a living, rather than HOW we're actually living!

    I love you too! And see you really soon! We're gonna have a great time!

    ReplyDelete