Saturday, January 21, 2012

Margaritas! (And medicine!)

Will and I were lucky enough to spend the whole day together today, uninterrupted. We woke up around 9, I made bell pepper omelets and bacon. We went shopping and saw Haywire at the cinema. For those of you who are interested, I thought the movie was decent. Gina Carano is extremely lovely to look at, she made the fight scenes very believable since she is a fighter in real life, and the plot was interesting enough.

Afterward, it was off to get a new, wireless printer, and to enjoy some dinner. We ate at a local Mexican joint that has AWESOME margaritas. While we were indulging in salsa and tequila, we started talking about music.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are coming to Chicago (HELL YES! I have wanted to see this band FOREVER.) on May 28th, and I will be purchasing two tickets for Will's birthday. (His birthday is coming up in Feb.)

We started chatting about how awesome the concert is going to be, and then I was like, "Waaaait a second. Hopefully you'll get to actually see the concert!"

It's a distinct possiblity that Will will have to be at the hospital during the concert. Ya know, being a med student in clincals and all.

He said, "Yeah. But if I can't make it, then we'll just have to deal. This is what I signed up for, and I should be thankful that I've reached this point."

And I thought about how right he is.

And I stopped and savored the moment. Just me and him in a little corner booth. Hanging out on a Saturday night with some delicious flautas, margaritas and conversation.

I tried to remind myself to savor these moments. Hold on to them. Because before we know it, Will is going to be thrust head-first into the world of clinicals and residency. And there will be LOTS of 90 hour work weeks. And LOTS of time away from each other. Lots of missed dinners. Lots of together time interrupted by the pager going off. Lots of patients competing for the time I would like to spend with my husband.

So for this one night, I will remind myself how lucky we are to have this precious moment in time. A moment that so very many other "normal" couples take for granted.

Shopping. A movie. Dinner. Drinks. Conversation. Just me and Will and nothing else.

I wanted to write it down it so I never ever take these moments for granted.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, you're such a romantic. :) "Ryan" and I are going to spend some QT together watching football tonight. :) Stay warm up there in your winter wonderland! Ima liiiitle jealous, I miss snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noo! Snow sucks! Ugh. It's snowing again here and it's all windy. :( You be careful when you come up later this week! Enjoy the playoff games! I hope Baltimore beats New England.

    ReplyDelete