Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Nights at the Museum!

Actually, I've been spending my days at the museum, but I wanted to make a clever title referencing the Ben Stiller/Amy Adams movie where all the exhibits magically come to life at night and take over the whole place!

Did you already catch that reference?

Good! :)

I have been an employee at Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago for about a week now.

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois.


The Science Storms Exhibit. A personal favorite.



I have to say that I quite like my job so far. Of course, like all of the jobs I've held previously, it has aspects that I enjoy and some that I don't like so much.

Let's start with the good things:

- Pretty much every museum guest I come into contact with on a daily basis is happy. Many of the museum guests are on vacation, or on a field trip, or just off work and enjoying their day. This is a wonderful change from my last position. My last job was at a medical clinic where all of our "customers" were sick, crabby, and not so happy!

- It's kind of hard NOT to be happy at the museum because there is just so much fascinating stuff to see. It puts a smile on my face seeing people in awe of the exhibits; little kids especially.

- I get to see the exhibits before they're open to the public. I also have the option of wandering around on my hour lunch to check out the exhibits.
 
- Because I am a MSI employee, I get in to all of the other museums, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Art Institute for free. I also get a free parking spot in the garage which will be nice when it's the middle of January and -10 degrees!

- My job is an active one. I am constantly standing, walking, climbing stairs, etc. This is a really welcome change from my last job where I sat at a desk and stared at a computer screen all. effing. day. This girl was NOT made for a desk job.

- The museum is .6 miles from our apartment, so I can to walk to work everyday. Yessss. What $5.00 gas? Huh? This whole no driving business is definitely one of my FAVORITE things about Chicago. I love that we walk, bike, or bus everywhere.

- I love that I work in a place that constantly encourages learning and exploration.

So as you can see, there are some really great things about my job. There are also few things that aren't so great. Namely, bratty children. Children straight from hell, nay, the spawn of Satan himself.

Okay. I'm going a little overboard.

But I swear to you that some days the place is excellent birth control. Have you ever seen an inconsolable teeny tiny two foot tall child throw himself to the ground, kick, scream, thrash, shout, SHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIEEEEEEEEEEEEK, swear, punch, etc. because his mom told him it was time to leave? Oh my goodness. Observing evil children = really, really good birth control.

Little blonde demon boy, you make me NEVER want to have children!


Also, while the majority of my coworkers seem to be really nice people, there are a few that are cliquey, and that kind of sucks, because occasionally it makes you the odd-woman out. Yep. I'm the new girl.

And I can't forget to mention that our schedule only comes out one week at a time, and weekends are required. I was spoiled at the clinic because I did not work any weekends, and the schedule was always the same. That made it easy to make plans! Now making plans is extremely difficult because I don't know my schedule for the following week until Wednesday (or Thursday) of the current week. I was also full-time at the clinic, so I had benefits there. At the museum I am technically part-time. Part-time = no benefits and no accruing vacation. (Not that I have the money for a vacation at the present moment anyway, but still. You get my point.)

And then of course there is the pay. I am now working for significantly less than was paid in my last position. It sort of feels like I am sliding backwards in that aspect. :(

But, as I read over this post, I see that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. So I am a happy camper.
For now, at least. When I get my first paycheck I might cry. ;)


In other Chicago news, I am starting a list of things I want to do once school gets out in 6 weeks.

1. Visit the Hyde Park Art Center. I can't believe I've not been there yet. It's ridiculously close to our place. Shame on me.

2. Visit the Chicago History Museum. This place has mixed reviews, but I get in for free anyway, so I am going!

3. Visit the Field Museum. I haven't been in soooooooooo long. I can't wait to see it again.

4. Go to another baseball game. Hopefully I'll have been to a few within the next six weeks! Will and I went to our first game of the season awhile back. See what we got for free?!

Oh yes. Awesome pom pom Cubs hat. We LOVE promo games. :)





That is my list so far. Can you think of anything I should add friends? Have you begun to make summer plans?


Tata for now,
Emme






2 comments:

  1. whoa whoa whoa, that was ben stiller, not adam sandler!

    big difference ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! You are SO right! hahaha guess I need to correct that!

      Delete