Monday, April 2, 2012

Second chances. And third! And fourth!

My feelings of failure, rejection, and heart break are no more. I sent resumes out like a madwoman all weekend. And guess what?

I got three calls for three different job interviews today! That makes me really happy and also a little terrified because I despise interviews.

I loathe them with every fiber of my being. They make me feel like a total kiss ass, and the questions are always the same.

For example:

Interviewer: Why do you want to work here?
What I say: Because I believe in this company's mission and I have excellent customer service skills! I want to use these skills and my experience with blah blah blah to make clients comfortable, happy, and returning to this business!
What I wish I could say: I really do think this job sounds enjoyable and like something I can do well; however I also need a paycheck. It is really expensive to live in Chicago. Our rent is almost a grand a month, and I don't even want to disclose how much our parking spot is each month. It makes me gag.

And have you been to Hyde Park Produce? How about Treasure Island? Harper Foods? The produce is cheap, but everything else is so expensive that when I see the price tags my eyeballs bug out of my head a la Pepe Le Pew in love!

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Me: I graduated from college in 2010 and for the past five years I have worked at Blah Blah Clinic. I filled many roles at the Clinic such as yada yada and wah wah waaah. I am punctual, professional, and I have a knack for problem-solving. I also have over 9 years of experience in customer service, and extensive knowledge of medical billing practices. I believe these skills and attributes make me a perfect fit for this position!
What I wish I could say: I love my family, my friends, my husband, my cat, being outside, hiking, and fishing. I have a hefty interest in criminal justice and criminology. I love baseball, and I love footbal. I enjoy wine tasting, and reading fiction for pleasure. Oh wait...you just want to know about my qualifications to do this job? Eh, that's not really telling you about myself, is it you tricky, tricky little man/woman?

Interviewer: What is your greatest strength?
Me: Definitely my positive attitude. I have a can-do attitude, and I absolutely do not believe in the saying, "that's not my job!" I am a fast learner, and I am always more than happy to do what it takes to be a positive, productive employee!

You get the point. I'm sure you've all interviewed before. I hate feeling like a total kiss ass and having to smile until my cheeks hurt. I hate sales, so naturally I do not enjoy "selling myself" (sounds kinda dirty, but we're not talkin' prostitution here friends.) to potential employers.

But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

 Now, please remember that I don't have any offers quite yet! I may be getting ahead of myself here, but planning is what I do. If you know me, you know that I am a planner extraordinaire. Seriously. It borders on obsessive planning. I say if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. So I've been pretending that each potential employer has offered me the job, and I've started a list of pros and cons for each position.

Position Number 1 is at the Museum of Science and Industry in the gift shop. It is described as "part-time temporary" with the possibility of going part-time permanent.
Pros: The job is part-time. This is a big "pro". I want a part-time job so I have time for school, and so I have time to gallivant around Chicago as I please! It's also very close to our place, so I'd be able to walk to work.
Cons: Weekends and holidays are required. Eww! I haven't worked a weekend or holiday in over 5 years, so I've gotten really spoiled. It may truly turn out to be a temporary position, so I may be out of work again in 4 or 6 months or so. I might have to sell. As I mentioned above, I am no saleswoman!

Position Number 2 is with a small, family-owned dog walking business as a dog walker/pet sitter. M-F 11am to 4pm with occasional weekends/nights/holidays.
Pros: The job is part-time. I would get to spend my workdays with animals! I would get plenty of exercise, and get to spend my workdays outside in the spring/summer.
Cons: It's on the North side, about 12 miles from our place. This means the commute would probably be close to an hour using public transit. I would have to spend my workdays outside in the fall/winter. This means working outside in sleet /rain/cold/blizzard/holyballsthewind!

Position Number 3 is at a Pilates Studio on the north side. I would be their receptionist. M-F 4pm to 8pm.
Pros: Free Pilates classes! More $ than I made at my job at the clinic. No weekends/holidays required as far as I know!
Cons: It's on the North side, so again I'd have about an hour commute or so. The hours are right over dinner, so I wouldn't be able to cook dinner or have dinner with Will. (Yes, having dinner together is important to me, mock me if you wish!) The hours are at night so I would be waiting for/taking public transit at night. (Again, mock me if you wish but sometimes it's sketch at night.) Not such a big deal during the summer, but I would be waiting in the dark in the fall/winter.

As you can see, each position has good and bad aspects. Here's hoping I have a job offer (or three) in a few days!

Wish me luck!

Emme


4 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! Let me know the results! Excited for you :) I'm kinda secretly hoping you get the dog walking job just because it sounds like you'd have lots of interesting moments in the position, lol. (it would make for really good blogging!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sis! The interview at the museum went really well. The people I spoke with were really nice, and it's a student friendly environment (which I LOVE). It's a part time job, and I would not be required to work every weekend/holiday. (In fact, they're closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that's a very good thing.)

    I took the pre-employment drug test for the position yesterday. They're supposed to call me as soon as they get the results and then I'll go fill out paperwork. It sounds like the museum position will be the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Well done on the interviews, hope all goes well for you :D
    Ugh the sucking up at interviews is always sooo horrible! I am not looking forward to finding a new job because of it haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ellen! I just checked out your blog, and you are SO talented! Your cakes are gorgeous! Looking forward to following along with your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete