Monday, March 12, 2012

90% done!

As I am writing this post, I'm laying on my bed which is placed directly across from two large windows with a breathtaking view of lake Michigan. We're finally here. We're about 90% unpacked, and we are already in love with our new city.

My observations so far:

1. We have a 24 hour door person at our building. There are actually 4 door people that rotate shifts. There are 2 men and 2 women, and 3 out of the 4 are wonderful, funny, sweet, intelligent people! The 4th one is a grumpy old asshole of a man who obviously doesn't enjoy his life (or job) very much.  Luckily, he only works part time on the weekends, so hopefully Will and I will be able to avoid him most of the time.

2. The first night we were here, our toilet was leaking when we flushed it. Uh oh. I went down stairs to the sweet door person, filled out a work order, and the maintenance man came the next afternoon. Um...huh? The next afternoon? Before we signed the lease we *specifically asked * if there was 24 hr. maintenance and were told yes. *sigh*

Anywho, it really wasn't a huge deal. The water wasn't GUSHING or anything. It was more of a slow trickle, and only after the toilet was flushed. The maintenance man came on Sunday afternoon. He was super nice and friendly and it's working just fine now, no leaks, so I can't really complain too much.

3. I suck at remembering names. I can remember 2 out of the 5 people we've met at this building so far. Fail. I need to start writing names down.

4. My husband is seriously a handyman. He doesn't give himself enough credit in that arena. In the two days that we've been in Chicago, he has put together our sofa bed as well as installed a new shower head. The shower head that was in there when we moved in on Saturday was so. evil. It either pelted so hard with water that you were wincing in pain and begging for mercy, or it sprayed so lightly and cock-eyed that you'd have to spend at least an hour in there trying to shampoo your hair and shave your legs. Sheesh. So we bought a new one and I am about to test it out once I'm done with this post.

5. The people that we have met so far have been extremely friendly. I have no idea why the stereotype exists that Chicagoans are mean or impatient (except while driving- this is oh so very true!)--everyone we've come across (with the exception of grumpy mccrabass part-time door person) has been really friendly, and genuinely interesting.

6. We are literally right off of lake shore drive. I thought that the constant noise of the cars traveling day and night would bother me. It really has the opposite effect. Will suggested (and I agree) that it's got this nice "white noise" quality that is really kind of soothing when you're trying to sleep.

7. Our kitchen is teeny, and I can't stress how much I love those little kitchen hooks for hanging up pots and pans! They're great for maximizing space in our small kitchen.

8. 900 square feet is a great amount of space for two newlyweds and a cat. We moved from a house that had over 2000 square feet of space, and I thought we'd feel a little bit cramped, but we don't at all!

9. I can't tell you how much I LOVE waking up to the view of the lake, the park, and navy pier in the distance. It is really, truly spectacular, and I've woken up with a huge smile on my face for the past two mornings.

10. This city has an energy that is really invigorating for a small town girl. It might sound stupid, but it's true. I feel like so much is out there right at my fingertips, and I swear I will take full advantage of that!

Those are my observations on Chicago living thus far!

So today we unpacked, cleaned, and took an hour and a half walk along the lake paths which are just steps from our front door. Our plans for the rest of the week include:
- Explore neighborhood and public transit options in more depth.
- I have to read for class and write a mid-term paper.
- Go to the museum of science and industry because 1. I haven't been there in several years. and 2. It is within walking distance from our place.
- I need to continue job hunting.
-This weekend my sister and her fiance are coming into Chicago for St. Patty's celebrations! So that should be a blast!

Finally, I am going to post some pictures that we've taken over the last two days. I've probably seen it a thousand times, but the Chicago skyline still rocks my world.

A not so good picture of our teeny kitchen. I did not get a good shot of the pots/pans on the hooks that I love so much!

A crappy photo of one side of our living room. The hall comes into the living area in such a way that makes it difficult to get a good shot, but it's actually a very large space. Excuse the mess. Oh, and the bike won't always be in our living room. Heh. We have not gotten our bike storage assignments yet.

This is a view of our building from the bridge. It was built in 1918 and it was originally a hotel where people stayed while vacationing on the lake.

 Chicago skyline. Nuff said.

My view as I am typing this post. Okay, I need to get off here and clean that window! lol.

Stayed tuned. I have a feeling this blog is going to get better and better as we learn to live in this fantastic Windy City!



4 comments:

  1. Sounds spectacular sissy! I'm glad things are going well for you two in there. Your kitchen is so cute! I got a housewarming gift for you guys that I'm going to give to you this weekend :) Cant wait to fully check out your new digs!! Keep postin' away *hUgS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww a housewarming gift?! You're too sweet! Can't wait for this weekend! Drive safely and see you soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emme - just saw your comment over on my blog, Windy City Pretty. Thank you for the nice comment!! Also, welcome to Chicago from a fellow newcomer :) Weather's nice so far, right? I need to grab myself some shots of the skyline as well. I look forward to following your adventures in this city too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This weather is fantastic! Hope you've been able to get out and enjoy it as much as I have lately! I thought we'd have to pay in March/April for having such a mild winter this year, but maybe we've lucked out. :)

    ReplyDelete