Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patty's Day Weekend

This weekend was just as excellent as I expected it to be. My little sister and her fiance came up to the city to spend St. Patrick's Day with Will and me. They got here Saturday morning around nine, and the first thing they did was give me a really cool housewarming gift.

It was actually a two part gift. Part one was a delicious bottle of Tortuga Rum from the Cayman Islands which made me all nostalgic, of course. At around this time last year, Ellie and I were there visiting Will at med school, and we made some incredible memories that will last forrrrrrrrrrrrrever. If you haven't been to the Cayman Islands, I cannot recommend a visit strongly enough. It is paradise on earth.

Tortuga Rum from Grand Cayman

(As you can see from the photo above, we dipped into the rum a bit before we left for the parade.)

Part two of the gift was a cute free standing wine rack which is a perfect gift for me because I looove me some wine. Yep. My sister rocks. 

So after opening presents, hugging hello, and doing some general catching up it was after 10am, and we made our way down the block and caught the #6 into the loop. We walked around awhile trying to find the best spot to see the green river before we went back to Buckingham fountain and found a spot for the parade.

Look at all those people! I think Will said he read somewhere around 500,000 turned out?


Purdy shade of green, no?

I must confess that what we saw of the parade was a little less than impressive. We didn't stay the whole time though, so I can't really give an all encompassing review. Instead of hanging out the whole time, we decided to walk on over to Navy Pier because Ellie's fiance, Brandon, had never been there before.

Oh. my. It was packed. We expected it to be packed though because it was such a gorgeous day outside. We walked around a bit and decided to grab some burgers and Italian beef at the famous Billy Goat Tavern. The line was out the door but damn, those employees were extremely efficient! We didn't have to wait long at all.We enjoyed our lunch and each others company. Then, we contemplated going for a green beer or six, but instead...we went home for a nap! Ha!

The truth is, we were pretty much exhausted from 5 hours out in the heat and from walking all over town. I must confess that on our way home we had an effing ball watching pretty much everyone downtown getting completely smashed, puking all over each other and the sidewalks, fighting, crying, stumbling,  protesting, screaming and generally just acting like a whole helluva lot of idiots.

As I laughed at the ridiculousness around me, it dawned on me that I must be getting old, because I had absolutely no desire to partake in the festivities to that degree!

When we got home, the four of us promptly passed out for an hour. When we woke up, we were refreshed and ready for some Chicago style deep dish! After a quick poll, it was decided that dinner would be at Giordano's in our hood that evening.

Don't I look tasty? Nom nom.
                                                       
 After dinner Will and I took Ellie and Brandon on over to Zberry. Zberry is my new favorite spot. They have self-serve fro-yo with a toppings bar. I'm in love. Check out our tasty creations below!

Mine's the top right. Raspberry pomegranate yogurt w/ pineapple, cherries, and kiwi on top.
                                      
 After dessert, we went home and watched The Descendants which got rave reviews, but we thought it was overrated. That about sums up our St. Patty's Day. Low key and perfect, if you ask me.

Today Ellie and I walked down to Dunkin Donuts for some breakfast treats and coffee. We also took a quick bike ride by the lake before she and Brandon left for home. I'm hoping they'll be back for a longer visit very soon! There's just so much to do, and so little time in one weekend!






In other news, I start a new j-o-b on Tuesday. I am not super excited about it, because it's a waitressing job, but I am also not super excited that I haven't heard anything back on the 80+ resumes I've sent out, so I think I'm going to give this job a shot. I told the manager I am only willing to work a maximum of 4 days per week because I am also a student. A serving job will at the very least give me a little income, and it will hopefully be a good way to meet new friends.

 I'll probably blog later this week after I've trained for a few days and let you know how it's going...wish me luck!

I hope everyone had a happy, fun and safe holiday weekend!

Ta ta for now,

Emme.









2 comments:

  1. Had a marvelous weekend in "THE GREATEST CITY AMERICA" LoL! Next time Sears Tower and Comedy Club! You and Will are such a great and fun couple to hang out with and I'm just lucky enough to have that fun couple be my sister and brother in law! Miss you guys already... "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..." HEHE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Yes! THE GREATEST CITY IN AMERICA! "What does NY have on us?" "NOTHING!" hahahaha! Love you and see you again really soon! Thanks for a really great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete