Monday, March 26, 2012

Damn you, Hunger Games. Damn you!

Will, a friend, and I went to see the Hunger Games on Saturday. I wish I could explain to you how much I was looking forward to this movie. You see, Will and I read all of the books a few months ago, and they were pretty damn good. I would give the books a collective 8 out of 10 stars.

Why do movies always let me down? I think it's because my imagination builds the characters up so much that there is just no way in hell that a movie can compare to the vision in my head. Jennifer Lawrence? Eh. She is a gorgeous woman, that's for sure, but she's just not what I pictured for Katniss. She didn't have enough attitude. She didn't have enough emotion. She just didn't really have enough...anything.

The actor who plays Gale? Liam Hemsworth. Ok. I can see that.

I think the young actress who played Rue was fantastic. And surprisingly, I think Woody Harrelson did a decent job as Haymitch. I also think Elizabeth Banks was a decent Effie. Lenny Kravitz was spot on as Cinna.

The actor who plays Peeta? Josh Hutcherson. Sweet kid but oh sooooo cheesy. I feel like he was just....cheesy.... and the exchanges between him and Katniss were super awkward.

Anyway, you get the idea.  I was kinda let down by the movie, but at least we got to see it at our cool new theatre in Chicago with the really comfy seats! ;)

In other news, Will and I are driving each other a little bit kuku, I believe. We are not used to spending so much time together. We're used to both being super busy, but right now we are definitely not super busy! His program at the hospital doesn't begin until April, so we have about a week left of being together 24-7, and we've been doing this 24-7 thing for the past 4 weeks.

I love Will very much, and I know he loves me, but I can tell we're getting a little nit picky with each other, and that sucks. I swore we wouldn't get nit picky or take our time together for granted because we spent those 2 years of being 1700 miles apart and it was really tough. I am sure once he gets going next week things will get better. A little space is healthy and good for any relationship.

In other, other news, my mom, brother-in-law, sister and sweet baby nephew are coming for a visit tomorrow! I am hoping the rain will hold off so we can go to Lincoln Park Zoo. I will post pictures if we do end up getting a chance to go!

Oh, and I haven't heard back yet about the j-o-b. Still waiting, and still sending out lots of resumes. I am hoping to hear back by the middle of this week... this waiting really sucks! I am starting to get a little bored with not having a job. I do have my college class work, and  I do love exploring Chicago, but you can only do so much exploring when you don't have a steady income rolling in each month!

If you could all cross your fingers for me so I can get this job, I sure would appreciate it!


:)
Emme




4 comments:

  1. Emme- I 100% agree with you about the movie. And the characters as well. For some reason it also just really bothered me that the actor they picked for Peeta was not a natural blonde. I can't stand that orangey look that all naturally dark haired people get when they try and go really blonde- I know that may sound stupid and a bit superficial, but I can't help it! LOL Also, I imagined Peeta with slightly larger build and like you said, him and Katniss having much more emotion exchanged between them. I also thought Woody did a good job as Haymitch, but he wasn't "disheveled" enough. I feel he should have been a bit greasier, teeth grimier, and a little chunkier for the role frankly. I think he should have gained some weight for this first movie and slowly lost it and started looking a bit more hopeful and put together as the movie/movies go on to really show the progression of the characters thoughts/feelings, etc. Overall, as I said when I texted you earlier, I feel like the whole movie just got "dulled down" a little bit compared to the books. Brandon and I think they should have made the movie rated R so they could have kept it a bit edgier. But like you said- we build these characters up so much in our imaginations it's hard to compete in real life. However, I feel like movies now-a-days are almost made a little bit "too pretty." Like actors and actresses are afraid to be shot in a scene where their makeup or hair isn't perfectly in place. Movies weren't like that 20 or 30 years ago. Anyways- I know I just went on an extreme tangent (apparently now I have a side job as a film critic), but as you know Brandon and I read all the books too and had been looking forward to the movie for months. Soooo glad you started this blog so I can keep up with my sissy's life when she's 3 long hours away from me! When I get to read your blogs the distance doesn't feel so far! Love ya missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I miss you and love you sis! So glad you and Brandon keep up with my bloggy! :)

    I hadn't thought of it before, but I totally agree with you about Haymitch. I wonder what they'll do, if anything, to change his appearance in the next two films. I think the third book will make the best movie because of all of the action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd will definately be the best (well, or the worst.) LOL! Enjoy another beautiful day in Chicago! XO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was another beautiful day, but wait until you read what happened to me and mom on the bike path! lol. xo!

      Delete