Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Music to my ears

 Last night, the huz and I went to the Red Hot Chili Peppers show at the All State Arena. It was the first time we'd ever seen them live, and it was an absolute blast! I can't believe how much energy they have on stage for being 50ish! We enjoyed the show so much that we're considering trying to find some Lollapalooza tickets for August so we can see them again.

One of my favorite shots I snapped at the show last night.



As we rocked our asses off last night, I lost myself in the music for 2 and a half hours, and came out on the other side (no pun intended) with a renewed love for the band, and for the live concert experience.

I have *always* been a musical person. I'm pretty sure I came out of the womb singing. My mom and dad have this adorable photo of me at around age 3 wrapped up in a robe performing with a microphone.

I am one of those people that can listen to a new song once or twice and know every single lyric. Just ask Will. When we first started dating he used to ask, "ummm how are you singing all of the words to that song already?!?!" It's just a weird talent that I have.

Music runs through my veins. I can't tell you how often I listen to a song and it completely changes my mood or thoughts. There are sooooo many songs that remind me of certain events or experiences from my past.

When I listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" it takes me back to my angsty high school days. Doesn't everyone have a Nirvana phase? I think they should! :) Anyway, that song takes me straight back to being 15 years old. I'm hanging out in the summer on the trampoline with Tracy, Kyle, Sandra, Jared, and Bryan. I can't help but smile and remember how we knew everything about everything back in high school...especially our futures. (HA!)

When I hear "Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe, ( you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxe85iErew)  I am always reminded of a nice guy I went to high school with that was killed after a work related accident a few years ago. We were casual friends during our freshman year of high school. That was in 1999 and that song was very popular then. Our groups of friends went our separate ways after that year. Every time I hear that song I remember T.J. and freshman year. And I think of how he was taken too young, and how precious and fragile this life is.

And every single time I listen to Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" ( you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfqEisOIMJc ) I am instantly transported back to Grand Cayman, sitting in Saskia's car with Kip, Saskia, their friend Michael, and my husband, who was actually my boyfriend at that time. We were driving to Sunset House, and the sun was soooooo hot and we were all a little buzzed and we were squashed so tightly in the back seat of that tiny island car that it was bordering on uncomfortable...

I remember wanting to freeze that moment. I remember telling myself to hold on to that moment. Singing at the top of my lungs to the radio with Saskia, speeding around that incredible island in that itty bitty car, looking at the Caribbean sea that was sparkling so brilliantly bright in the three o'clock sun and watching the water shooting up from the blowholes along the shoreline.

I remember being one-hundred percent completely lost in that moment in time; so happy, so perfectly content, and never ever ever wanting that afternoon to end. Every time I hear that song I go back to that time, and I have that same amazing feeling for those short few minutes. That is one of my most favorite memories and I will hold it close to my heart for the rest of my life.

I think that it's amazing that music has that kind of power, wouldn't you say? Because I really think it's
those memories conjured up by the music, those memories that are made in those seemingly small moments that truly make life so sweet.









3 comments:

  1. SoOoOo true! You know my thoughts on "Shake Your Tailfeather." HEHEHE! Glad you guys had fun at the Chili Peppers last night, I was kinda secretly hoping Will wouldn't be able to go so I could. LoL, no, not really- I know how pysched you guys were about it. Hope things are going well up there for yah- Bryan and I were thinking about coming up for 4th of July, but it's going to be way too crazy with it falling in the middle of the week and having to work day before/day after. Guess you guys are just going to have to think about moving more towards the tropical portion of IL aka Hillbillyville in a few years... ;) *wink wink* Love ya!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of COURSE I remember shake your tailfeather! ahahahahaha! I could never forget! Oh the memories.

    The fireworks started at navy pier last weekend, so they are happening every wed. and sat. We can see the majority of them from our living room! Wish you guys could come up soon, but looking forward to seeing you this weekend for the surprise! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we'll have to make it up there one weekend to see Navy Pier fireworks- I bet your guys' 4th of July ones will be amazing. Love you too. -El

    ReplyDelete