Saturday, May 19, 2012

That time I got bronchitis when the weather was perfect for the beach...

That time is now, folks. Today I was diagnosed with bronchitis. This is the THIRD time I've been sick since we've moved to Chicago. Not cool. Definitely not. cool.

I knew something wasn't right earlier this week because I was running a fever Tuesday, but it was gone by Tuesday night. I thought I was in the clear. Then Wednesday I began getting all congested, and I began to lose my voice. By Thursday night my voice was completely gone. Still no voice yesterday, so this morning we got up around 9:30, got on the bus and went downtown to the doc.

(By the way, can I just say that riding the bus SUCKS ASS when you're sick? Trust me. IT DOES. But with NATO going on, there was no way we were gonna try to drive ourselves downtown.)

Going to the doctor was not an easy decision interwebz, because I do not currently have health insurance, and I was most definitely NOT super excited about spending buckets of money on a doctor's visit. I also don't really like taking antibiotics because I am weird about taking medicine. Buuuuuuuut Will basically told me to stop being a stingy asshole and said that if I didn't want the bacteria to eat my brain, I should probably see a physician. heh heh.

So I did go see Dr. Mathew at the Michigan Avenue Immediate Care Center. She was very nice and the office was super efficient. I was in and out within 30 minutes. It was almost pleasant, if seeing the doctor can be such a thing....except for the fact that I did spend well over three hundred dollars (!!!!!) on an office visit and two prescriptions. OUCH!

Side note: It was really weird going downtown this morning because in case you haven't heard, NATO is having their summit here this weekend. The buses from Hyde Park (and lots of other 'hoods) had to be completely rerouted because they've shut down a big chunk of Lake Shore Drive, as well as other roads near McCormick Place. We went through some super sketch neighborhoods. Good thing I was too sick to be scared. HA!

Also when we FINALLY got downtown this morning, Michigan avenue was a little bit like a ghost town. It was really weird. Not sure where the protesters were, but they weren't on the Mag mile.


Michigan Avenue, is that you? Did I just see a tumbleweed roll on by? ;) heh heh

Another side note: this whole NATO thing is really annoying and scary, yet cool all at the same time. It's annoying because it's cramping everyone's style because of all the road closures and closures of businesses. 

It's scary because there was that whole alleged terrorist plot that was thwarted. Here's the story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/nato-summit-protesters-arrested-charged-conspiracy-commit-terrorism/story?id=16385865 Yeah. Pretty scary.

It's sort of cool too, because there are cops on every corner; many of them decked out in full out riot gear. And there are protesters. I can't tell you how many dirty hippies I saw this morning flashing the peace sign. (Now of course you know that not all protesters are dirty hippies, but I saw quite a few today. heh heh!) And there are helicopters circling around this area day and night. And there are fighter jets. It's kinda cool.

Anyway, back to the enthralling story of my illness:

I had a delightful experience with the extremely bitchalicious pharmacy tech at CVS while filling my prescriptions this afternoon. When I finally got my meds, I immediately started the antibiotics, took a spoonful of the hydrocodone infused cough syrup and promptly fell asleep. I've been resting ever since I woke from my nap.

The doc instructed me to rest, push fluids, and no work until Thursday. It really sucks being sick, especially because the weather is absolutely perfect, and I want to be on the beach or at the very least outdoors. Unfortunately, since I'm on a Z-Pack I can't be out in the sun.

Also, I want Will to baby me, or at least hang out and watch movies with me, but he is too busy studying. And then of course there's the whole coughing until your chest is killing you and not being able to sleep for more than 4 hours comfortably, and the mucus, oh the mucus.... (I'm sorry, tmi.)

I think these illnesses might be God's way of telling me to CHILL OUT a little bit, because I have been constantly on the move lately. I've been having this sense of urgency like I need to get out there and go go go because I might miss something. Well, now I've been knocked on my ass and I need to just be still for awhile. It sucks though because the laundry is piling up, the apartment feels messy, and I LOATHE dishes in the sink....but again, I need to just let. these. things. go.

In other news...

I had mentioned in my last post that my sister, bro-in-law, and nephew Allen came for a visit. They got here Wednesday night and stayed until Friday night. It was such a wonderful couple of days having them here with us. We took Allen to his very first Cubs game on Thursday and he was so well behaved. Then on Friday I babysat all day while my sister and bro went to Wrigley for a second game. When they got home we took a picnic dinner to Promontory Point and spent some time throwing the football around by the water. It was a perfect couple of days.

Looking ahead, I am looking forward to the first weekend in June when we're all venturing up to Minong, WI for a surprise 50th birthday celebration for my mom. My mom has a good friend who has two lovely cottages on Big Sands Lake, and my sisters, their significant others, and I will be going up there for a long weekend. It should be a great time since we're surprising my mom, and also because it's always wonderful when we can get our whole little family together.

I am also looking forward to the change of pace.

Don't get me wrong. I do love the city, but the hustle and bustle does get to me on occasion and I just want to take a step away and breathe. The fresh air will do me some good, I'm sure.

Doesn't it look peaceful? Ahhhh...

Well folks, I'm signing off for now so I can take some more of that good hydrocodone cough syrup! muahahaha ;)

Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment