Friday, May 11, 2012

This week's happenings...

Full disclosure: I am writing this post with a belly full of delicious margarita and chicken chimichanga. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yes, I have an enormous food/drink baby in my stomach right now, and I'm not entirely sober. Now you know that this may not be the most eloquent post you've ever read, so I can continue...

It has been a fantastic week, interwebz! I finished up my semester, so I am officially on summer break (YAY!) and I also discovered an awesome bookstore this week. (I am sort of obsessed with books, not gonna lie.) It's called Powell's and it's less than a mile from home. It is HUGE, and has a really great variety of books. My purchases were a Hyde Park history book that I promptly devoured, another history book that centers on crime in the 1800s/early 1900s in Northern Illinois, and a Dr. Seuss book,  "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" for my sweet baby nephew.

Yesterday, I finally checked out the Hyde Park Art Center, and I have to be honest, it wasn't really my cup of tea. I think I will still definitely check out their prints and pints class, but the exhibits I saw yesterday were all very contemporary. Certainly there is nothing wrong with contemporary art, but it's just not really my style. There was one piece I really liked, and the rest I was kind of meh about.

I did however truly enjoy stumbling upon the trade store they have upstairs in the art center building. They had tons of homemade jams/jellies, knick knacks, books, TONS of plants, flowers, and fresh cooking herbs, planters, art, etc. and everything is for trade (or a "fair price"). I.E. I can bring in a plant of mine, like one of my spider plants or diefs, and trade it for some fresh basil or some flowers or mint. I really enjoyed browsing the store, and I definitely plan to trade there in the future...maybe when they have their rooftop tomato garden open.

On my way home from the art center yesterday I noticed there was a stand set up in the park across from our place, and I realized the farmers market had begun! I stopped and spoke with the vendor and she said the market is starting early this year. It usually doesn't begin until June, so I was really excited to hear this news. I browsed around a bit, and the flowers were gorgeous, but it is still a bit early for most veggies so I will have to wait a few more weeks.

I spent  my day today walking the lake front path, walking at Promontory Point, and lounging/reading on 57th street beach. It was a perfect 78 degrees, the sky was brilliant blue with nary a cloud, and I kept thinking "how lucky am I to live so close to the beach?!" This summer is going to rock!

The lovely 57th street beach looking toward Promontory Point. Within walking distance from home. SCORE.


And to top the evening off, my husband took me for a celebratory dinner! We went to Maravillas in our neighborhood, and our fiesta was complete with margaritas and coronas to celebrate the fact that I survived another semester. :)

Maravillas. Tasty margaritas. Chimichanga was pretty tasty too, and the guac was not too shabby. If I yelped I'd say 3 our 5 stars. ;)


To sum things up, just in case you can't tell, I continue to fall more in love with the city each day, especially as the weather continues to improve. I swear it's like Chicago has a completely different energy in the summer. My sister and brother in law are coming in next week for a Cubs/Sox game. It just so happens I am off work next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so I may try to convince my mom to come in too so we can all hit up Wrigley together.

One final note, Will and I have started the count down to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert! t-16 days! I AM SO EXCITED!

3 comments:

  1. Hey sis finally got a chance to read your newest blog. It was great to catch up with you this weekend for Momma's Day and I STILL think you need to SCALP the Incubus tickets for July (you've seen them a baZILLION times in concert already!) and come party-down in Missouri with your baby sis to ring in her quarter of a century birthday (because after all it would be your FIRST float trip). Noooot that I'm trying to sway your decision or anything -- this summer is going to go by WAY TO QUICK! Love ya lots! Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weekends always go by too fast! We need to take another sisters only trip so we can have some legit bonding time! No idea why I was thinking Incubus was in July...they're not until August so I should be good to go for your bday! Love you lots too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie and Emme--
    I am jealous of your float trip!! I want to go SO bad, but alas, cannot leave the Nuggie for that long! It will be SO much fun and I can only hope that Emme goes!
    maybe when Nuggie is a bit older, we can plan another float trip!
    It was so good to see you all Mothers Day weekend and cannot wait to go to WI to spend the weekend together!
    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete