Thursday, June 21, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I was chatting with two of my female coworkers at lunch today. They both very recently ended relationships with their significant others, and I could tell they were really hurting.


Coworker A was in tears as she explained that she split with her partner because her partner constantly made her feel bad about herself. Her partner would constantly make rude, condescending comments about the food she chose to eat, her makeup, the clothes she chose to wear, the music she chose to listen to....and on and on. As she spoke, it became very clear to me that her relationship with her partner was abusive. Her partner was basically trying to control and manipulate her life in every way.

Coworker B explained that she recently split with her boyfriend of nearly 5 years because he was disrespectful, and he had cheated on her in the past at least once that she knew of.  She said that he constantly made lewd comments about attractive women, and she had tried to speak to him about it, but he just brushed her off.

I know that both ladies will be much happier now that they're rid of their unhealthy significant others, and luckily they both acknowledged that though right now they're hurting, they know they made the right choices in getting rid of their toxic exes.

When I hear stories about relationships that involve abuse, condescension, manipulation, and disrespect, I thank my lucky stars for two things:

1. That I love and respect myself enough now to never allow myself to be mistreated in a relationship.  (I have been mistreated in the past, and I have learned from those experiences. It is absolutely imperative to kick people out of your life that are toxic. I cannot stress that enough. It really, truly is.)

2. That I have a partner in this life who is not only intelligent, hilarious, gorgeous, and kind, but he also respects me as a person, and he is a respectable person. He doesn't abuse me, he doesn't hurt my feelings intentionally, he doesn't cheat on me or lie to me. He doesn't talk down to me. He doesn't hit on other women, or rub it in my face how attractive another woman is. He consistently makes me smile and laugh. He values my opinion, and he supports me in my endeavors.

Indeed, I am a very lucky woman to have married such a great person. I'm thankful for my huz every day.


2 comments:

  1. So true! Live and learn huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! That song that says "I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger" is soooo true!

    ReplyDelete